XLR to 1/4 inch pinout

All general DJ Topics. Code within posts is enabled. Pictures larger than 500 Pixels Wide will be Removed/Moderated.

Moderators: Country Boy, Dwight

XLR to 1/4 inch pinout

Postby Dumptruck » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:48 am

Does any body know the pinout for an XLR to 1/4 inch cable? I need to make one and I can't seem to find a clear pinout on the internet. I am hoping that I can make a stereo connection.

Here is the best that I could find but I am not sure that it is stereo. Can anyone confirm that this is right?

Dumptruck

Re: XLR to 1/4 inch pinout

Postby MrBlubke » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Dumptruck
Does any body know the pinout for an XLR to 1/4 inch cable? I need to make one and I can't seem to find a clear pinout on the internet. I am hoping that I can make a stereo connection.

Here is the best that I could find but I am not sure that it is stereo. Can anyone confirm that this is right?

from what I've read so far this looks like its mono. I think I have these XLR outs on my mixer, one for left, and one for right, so XLR is stereo if there are two of them... or if you're using xlr 5 points...
http://pinouts.ru/Multimedia/wegner_aout_pinout.shtml
www.impesoft.com
It's the perfect job, but someone got to do it :D
----------------------------------
MЯß|µßKΞâ„¢
"I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain."
MrBlubke

Postby Dwight » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:28 pm

That is a balanced mono plug.
Dwight
Atlanta, Georgia

My Work Wild Bills

Visit Photography by Dwight

"Texan by the Grace of God"

Spread the Virus

Myspace: myspace
Dwight

XLR Wiring

Postby energysound » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:51 pm

XLR'S are used for Balanced Mono
I think pin 1 is Shield to ground
pin 2 signal -
pin 3 signal +
alot of Equipment has pins 1&2 Shorted together inside so it usually wont work to rig itr.

If you were to Mickey mouse It . you would use pins 2 & 3 for your +
pin 1 for your -

I used to could solder XLR's in my sleep but I don't do much Custom wiring anymore:)
HP Pavillion DV6427
2 gig Ram 160 gig HD, 2 500 gig WD External HD's, Red VRM, Dac 3, PC DMX
Fasttrack Pro USB
Denon 4000 CD backup,denon DNX-500 mixer, Crown amps,Rane EQ, EV SX300\'s, Cerwin Vega V-43\'s, Yorkville 600Watt Powered Subs, etc,etc,etc........... Lights up the wazooo
Spinnin to the Toads & Lizards in the desert & Beyond since 1982
energysound

Postby djfs » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:35 pm

i love xlr's :D
djfs

Postby Mike Ocean » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:55 am

That is not a mono plug. A 1/4" "mono" plug only has 2 contact points on the end of the 1/4". That picture clearly shows 3 contact points. Usually the tip on a 1/4" is the "+" , Ring is the "-" and sleeve is the "shield / ground / drain connection" They are called different names but do the same function.
These plugs are also refered to as "Stereo" 1/4" plugs. Most people use pin 2 of a xlr as the "+", pin 3 as the "-" and pin 1 as the "shield" connection. There has been confusion over the years as to what pin is the "+" and what to use for the "-". Most have settled on pin 2 as "+" on a xlr plug.
The statement was made that the picture shows it as "mono" That is not a correct statement. It's considered balanced, just using 2 different kinds of connectors to get the same result.

The easy way to remember it is if the 1/4" has 2 black rings on the end of it is considered mono or unbalanced, and if it has 3 rings on it then they consider it a balanced or stereo connector.

I hope this may clear up the confusion.
If you have any more questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them. I used to work for a sound company and my thing was buliding equipment racks and custom length cables with different king of connectors on each end, so I learned real fast the difference.

Mike
System specs: HP Pavilion zv6130us
AMD Athlon 64 2.0ghz, 768 Meg Ram, 128 Meg video ram dedicated, 80 Gig H.D., Win XP Home SP2, 160 Gig external H.D., M-Audio Fast Track Pro.
PCDJ FX & PCDJ Red 5.2
System 2; Gateway m460, Centrino 2.13Ghz, 1gb Mem, 250gb External H.D.
Mike Ocean

Postby maze » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 am

Mike,

The picture itself quite clearly and correctly identifies the 1/4 inch plug as a "stereo jack."

I don't believe that was what the original question was about however. I would think he was actually asking if he was going to be able to make a stereo connection. A stereo connection would actually have two different signals, using the + and - wires and connections. A balanced connection would be just one signal, but out of phase on the - wire, providing for better noise reduction (depending, of course, that you are running into balanced inputs and outputs on whatever equipment you are using).

With an XLR connector on one end, Dumptruck is not going to be able to make a stereo connection and the "1/4" stereo jack" is not providing a stereo signal. Dwight was correct in stating that in this case the jack is providing a mono balanced signal.

Depending, again, on the inputs and outputs of whatever you are plugging into, you could of course make a stereo connection with a stereo 1/4 inch plug... into another stereo 1/4 inch, stereo 3.mm, any sort of splitter, etc. It's just not the case in Dumptruck's picture, with any eqipment he is likely to be using.
maze

Postby djharryg » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:43 pm

Go to the store and buy one for $12.99. It would be much easier, and more reliable.
Dell Inspiron 2200, 1.6ghz Celeron. 120GB, 512 Ram, Win XP,
RED VRM, Red 5.2, PCDJ-KJ, DAC2

(Yes.... I'm still running 5.2 at every gig) :D
djharryg

Postby Mike Ocean » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:53 pm

The picture shows a balanced connection using a xlr to 1/4 plug. So maybe I was reading too far into it. That sometimes happens. Maze is correct you can't get a "stereo" connection using that kind of setup without making all kinds of adapators and turn arounds etc... To get what he wants he would have to get a "insert" cable with 1/4" connectors on all ends, and your right it wouldn't work with most of the pro gear I know of on the market. When it comes to inputs and outputs on pro gear the 1/4" is setup for a balanced hook up.
Just trying to help.

Mike
System specs: HP Pavilion zv6130us
AMD Athlon 64 2.0ghz, 768 Meg Ram, 128 Meg video ram dedicated, 80 Gig H.D., Win XP Home SP2, 160 Gig external H.D., M-Audio Fast Track Pro.
PCDJ FX & PCDJ Red 5.2
System 2; Gateway m460, Centrino 2.13Ghz, 1gb Mem, 250gb External H.D.
Mike Ocean

Return to THE DJ BOOTH