Club Gig Pay

From the Club Scene, Share/Read ideas, tips, and tricks.

Moderators: Country Boy, Dwight, Biggbronk

Postby DJ Eric PR » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:35 am

Can you be a bit more specific about the equipment you provide?

Have they shared with you sales figures? Maybe a busy place does not translate into $$ in the register as people could be spending less money.
DJ Eric
djericpr@gmail.com
Deejay Eric @ Facebook

HP Pavilion dv6880se Intel Core 2 Duo 3GB 250HD Blue Ray
2 1TB External HD / Reflex, VJ, dn-hc4500, x-500 mixer

HP Pavilion Ze5470us Intel P4 2.4GHz, 1GB 80GB
250 GB External HD
FX / DAC-3 (with sticky buttons) / Numark CM200USB / Gigaport AG

QSC PLX1804 / Ber. EP2500
DJ Eric PR

Club Rates

Postby cyberlight » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:25 pm

I posted that i Dj a club on Saturday night only. I did until last Saturday night. They have been opened for a liitle over a year now and now are going to shut down for a couple of months now to remodel. The other bad news for me was to find out about 3 weeks ago that i'm getting laid off from my day job in a 1-1/2 months. What the shits is this world coming to? As far as rates are, I would charge anywhere from $300.00-$500.00 a night using my own equipment & music. Depends on your location, size of club, how many patrons the club pulled in. The club might not be pulling in as much $$ as it did before due to the economic situation most of us are feeling as why they want to cut your wages. Good luck! We all need it! I'll be really glad when this all turns around. I'm hearing it might be the 1st of next year before it does.
cyberlight

Postby KJMikey1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:09 pm

The local market is very cut-throat here, espcially for KJ's. Average here for those of us who bring our own equipment and music is around $100 a night for 4-5 hours, even less for house supplied.

The economy is not helping but there are two other driving factors in my market area. First is piracy, better than 90% of the entertainment establishments here are not licensed to play music so they try to get by as cheap as possible which leads to DJ/KJ's bringing in music that they don't legally own or have authorization to use in a commercial enviroment. The other here is "The Right to Work" statue, which greatly contributes toward lower wages and fees that legitimate DJ/KJ's can charge, IMHO. Even with our legal karaoke music we have a hard time getting $150 a night from owners even during the boom of a few years ago.:I

I'm like most of you, this has been a rough ride so far as i've been unable to this point to even perform at a private event even though I had 3 scheduled. They all cancelled for financial reasons.:skeptical:

I hope this draggin economy ends soon.
Mike

VDJ 5.21 for video's (can't wait for a new PCDJ version of VJ or equivalent)
PCDJFX 7.2.1016 with KJ VRM

KJing is still an art. Music is still my Passion.

Life, you only get one chance at it. Make the best of it. :cool:
KJMikey1

Postby ooxteme » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:52 pm

im gettin 200 for 4 hours my music my speakers amps ect plus drinks. ive found that 200 for 4 hours is about a common ground price not to high not to low. if the club is real busy sometimes they slip me a lil more.
PCDJ DEX, VJ, FX, DMX
2 4000 WATT PEAVEYS
5 900 WATT PEAVEYS
1 1400 WATT DIGITAL PEAVEY
2 PEAVEY SP2S
2 PEAVEY SP6S
2 PEAVEY DUAL 18" SUB ENCLOSERS
2 DELL LAPTOPS
2 DENON DNHC 4500S
AMERICAN DJ LIGHTING
ooxteme

Postby djmikemagic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:36 pm

what club do u work at?
im in nashville tn
i vj at townleys in smyrna tn
dj mike magic
djmikemagic

Club Pay Rate

Postby midnightmike » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:27 pm

I Live in a small town in TEXAS about 120,000 folks. I used to DJ a club, using their Equipment and my music. At first they were paying $150.00 per Saturday Night. I was a fill in for their resident. I raised the price to $200.00 telling them i just covered for their resident once in awhile and i had to have the other $50.00 extra. No problem. There is another club about the same size that pays their DJ $100.00-$125.00 per night. That club supplies the equipment and music.
midnightmike

Postby smittydc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:10 pm

I've been working a club the last few months for free drinks and 10 percent of the bar. If the club made money, then I made money.
Only those who risk going too far know how far it is possible to go.
smittydc
PCDJ Aficionado

Postby katdaddy51 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 am

KJmikey, can you explain the "proper way" to have commercial rights for djing.
i have read on the other venues (cant remember the copyright webpage)but cannot find the info. any event i do is strictly private, but i would like to be able to do commercial and do it the right way. thanks
katdaddy51

Postby KJMikey1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 pm

What I mean by "proper way" for playing music in a commercial venue is that the venue must have proper ASCAP, BMI, SESAC licenses displayed within the venue. Generally, the venue will only display the decals and they will be at the enterance. These are required even if the establishment has only a jukebox or is streaming radio/satallite broadcast. This is so royalties can be paid.

I'm not an attorney, but have been in a venue which was streaming satallite radio to more than a 100 patrons when members from ASCAP entered and the venue was force to settle on a large damages payment and required to be licensed.
Mike

VDJ 5.21 for video's (can't wait for a new PCDJ version of VJ or equivalent)
PCDJFX 7.2.1016 with KJ VRM

KJing is still an art. Music is still my Passion.

Life, you only get one chance at it. Make the best of it. :cool:
KJMikey1

Postby Ray Murray » Sat May 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Great info guys!!!!

I'm also a "fill in" at an Atlantic City Club and get $200/6 hrs with their own equiptment. It's an "Adult Club" so the fringe benefits are outstanding (no pun intended)

Before I started there, I had no idea what the going rate was, since that was my first "Club" gig. (I've done many private gigs before this)

Nice to know I'm in the ballpark....
Ray Murray

Previous

Return to CLUB DJ TOPICS